Flourless Goat Crunch Cakes with Apple Cinnamon Topping!
Today is my birthday! Better known as Lizmas. Its the big 3-3! I’m an old woman, but a fast old woman at least 😉
I got lots of awesome gifts. Amongst the many awesome gifts was a personalized velour sweatsuit from Pooky:
He of course had to get himself one as well…
He also got me a Vitamix!!!!
I haven’t had time to whip it out yet because I’ve been too busy diving into these. If you live in Atlanta and have any sort of food allergy and haven’t been to Dulce Vegan bakery yet, then you don’t know what you’re missing!!! SO good.
So anyways, I woke up this morning on Lizmas… I was set to celebrate Goat style – with 2.5 hours on the spin bike and an hour of yoga. SO I needed a power breakfast.
I’ve eaten steel cut oats, eggs, smoothies, single serve goat-meals for weeks…I needed something new today.
I looked around … I didn’t have much to work with here… then I saw a can of pumpkin in the back of the cupboard. Mmmm pumpkin. Who doesn’t like pumpkin.
Of course this made me think – pumpkin pancakes. One of my favorites! But I didn’t want to get weighed down with ucky yucky flour and I’ve already been sneezy and tired enough from the pollen, so I didn’t want to compound that with some flour.
So these Flourless Goat Crunch Cakes are what came to mind. Then I also require fruit topping for all my waffles and pancakes…and I’ve got an overflow of apples…so here is where the apple cinnamon topping resulted from.
However, the making of these was a small fiasco. The gym opened at 8 am. I planned to do some laundry and be there by 8 am so I could finish in time for yoga at 11 am. However, I went to grab the almond butter. It’s all natural, so the oils had risen to the top….I open it up, and pow! The oil spilled all over my counter and floor like the Juan Valdez. Sheesh. Lots of time cleaning that up.
OK…got that cleaned up. NEXT… I go for the maple syrup to do up my topping just right. AND I spill it all over the counter and into the utensils drawer!!!!! Arrrghhh…. you know the only thing worse to clean up than almond butter oil???? ahhh, yeah, maple syrup in your utensil drawer, counter, and floor.
OK so then I got THAT cleaned up. Sheesh.
And the cakes could finally go in the skillet, out of the skillet, on my plate, and into my mouth! Yipee!
Yummy, simple morning pancakes without all the empty calories from flour!
Ingredients – Cakes:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (I buy the canned organic pumpkin Farmers brand – not pumpkin pie filling, just the pumpkin. I haven’t tried it yet, but you could very like substitute roasted squash, banana, or sweet potatoes)
- 2 eggs (this time I used 1/2 cup Egg Beaters because I had some that needed used up. But typically I would use organic whole eggs. You could probably also use a half cup egg whites)
- 2 Tablespoons of natural cashew, peanut, or almond butter (I used almond butter this time. Make sure the only ingredient is nuts!!! and possibly a splash of sea salt. If you are worried about fat, you could try PB2 powder – I would use two Tablespoons of the end result – the reconstituted powder after its been mixed with liquid)
- 1-2 Tablespoons coconut oil or Coconut oil spray
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (nutmeg, ginger or pumpkin pie spice would also be good)
- I didn’t do it this time, but I think some chopped nuts or chopped apples would be good mixed in as well)
- 1/3 cup Kind Cinnamon, Oat and Flax Gluten Free Granola
- Stevia to taste (I used one big spoon. Probably could’ve done two or maybe one tablespoon brown sugar)
What to do with it all:
Heat skillet over medium-high heat and add coconut oil to melt and coat the bottom of the pan. Mix the pumpkin, eggs and nut butter in a small bowl until well blended (just use a fork to blend – don’t over mix). Add nuts or apples or nothing at all. Add the vanilla, cinnamon, and stevia (or other sweetener). Once the pan is hot and the coconut oil is melted, spoon into the skillet. I found that the smaller ones came out better. So I made them all silver dollar type pancakes. Plus Pooky loves silver dollar pancakes. Win, win. Once you see bubbles in the cakes, flip and cook through. You could add the granola on top once you flip, but I like to add mine at the end.
Ingredients – Topping
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 Peeled and chopped apples
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup of water
What to do with it all:
In a skillet, on medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Sautee apples until softened. Add in the maple syrup, cinnamon and 1/4 cup water. Cook and stir as needed. Add more water if need be. I had to. Top your cakes with them as is (I did) or puree the topping a bit and top.
I topped the cakes with the apple mixture then sprinkled them with the granola. Wha-la!