Pooky must have read somewhere that it is good to eat purple things. He is always asking me to give him purple things to eat so he can get his antioxidants. So I’ve been making a lot of berry smoothies…like the Very Berry Detox Smoothie…
So when he asked for purple again today, I thought I needed to mix up the berry smoothie a bit.
Makes 2 Smoothies:
- 1-1.5 cups plain unsweetened pure coconut water + 1-1.5 cups water (you want to aim for about 2-2.5 cups of any combination of liquid – and go for unsweetened liquids like coconut water, coconut milk, almond milk, cashew milk, etc)
- 2 scoops chocolate Sunwarrior Warrior Blend Vegan protein powder (or favorite protein powder of choice. you don’t have to use protein powder, but I like to have protein first thing in the morning to kickstart my metabolism)
- If you’re not using chocolate protein powder, use 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. Use unsweetened and don’t use dutch processed. I use Nativas Naturals Cocoa Powder. (You will also probably need to double your stevia or preferred sweetener especially if you’re using good cocoa powder)
- 2 spoons stevia in the raw (or other sweetener of your choice. You may need to up this if you use the cocoa powder in lieu of protein powder)
- 2 spoons organic flaxseed meal or 2 scoops chia seeds pre-soaked in about 4 oz water
- 2 big handfuls organic spinach (don’t be shy! if using kale, just probably want to go with a few leaves)
- 1 small handful raw, organic almonds (optional – could use cashews or pecans too! OR a few spoons of organic, unsweetened, unsulfered dried coconut might be good too!)
- 1-1.5 cups frozen pitted organic sherries + .5-1 cup frozen assorted organic berries (I used about 1.5 frozen cherries and about 3/4 cup frozen mixed blueberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- A few drops pure almond extract
Put all ingredients in blender in the order stated. Make sure to use frozen fruit for a nice frosty shake. Select smoothie function on blender or blend for 1-2 minutes depending on strength of blender.