Hey all! Happy Kale Day!
I know I have been MIA for like two months since the TransRockies! Eeek! Sorry about that. We’ve just been crazy busy and as can be expected, I was a hot mess (when am I not?!) following the TransRockies and needed sometime to kind of “reset.”
Well I did this fabulous 10 day yoga detox at Kashi Yoga Ashram in Atlanta, and I was all balanced and zen and healthy for like two weeks. It was awesome. And as can be expected – you guessed it – I’m a hot mess again!
Anyways, I’m working on posts regarding the rest of the TransRockies…and a super awesome six hour race that I accidentally won!!!! So I’m hoping to post soon.
In the meantime, the blade on my VitaMix got recalled and I had to send it back for repairs. I’ve been VitaMix-less for like 10 days. It’s awful. However, Pooky couldn’t go without his smoothies so I pulled out the old Ninja and she’s been serving us fairly well. Just takes a little more elbow grease and you have to be a little more selective of your ingredients since it doesn’t quite pulverize everything in sight like the VitaMix.
So this a.m. I made a random smoothie that came out so awesome I had to share!
Did you know that pina coladas are one of the drinks (behind Blizzards I think) that have the highest amount of calories? It’s true! Google it. Everything on Google is true, and we all know this. Well, regardless if that’s true or not, it’s pretty obvious that a pina colada is not good for you. But it tastes so good, right? And a pina colada at 7AM really isn’t good for you…But it’s been a stressful week, and I need a pina colada at 7AM!!!
Well here I am to the rescue with the Green-a-Colada. Tastes great and will fully detoxify all of the crap stored up in your body. A great wake up or mid-day or late night treat!
- 1 cup organic non-gmo not from concentrate coconut water (I like Harvest Bay) (also you may need more depending on how thick you like your smoothie)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange or pineapple juice (or more coconut water, or unsweetened almond milk or water – whatever you like. today I didn’t mind the extra sugar so I used 1/4 cup fresh squeezed OJ…when I’m counting the calories I probably would’ve went for almond milk or water)
- 1 medium golden beet peeled (unless you have a VitaMix…I was without today so I peeled) and chopped small (again, unless you have a VitaMix or Blendtec you can leave in bigger chunks) – it probably came to about 3/4 cup
- 1/4-1/2 cup frozen organic mango
- 1/2-3/4 cup frozen organic pineapple (ok, ok all I had today was Dole so it wasn’t organic. So sue me. Also I don’t know how much I used. I’m thinking it was close to the 3/4 cup because I wanted a bigger smoothie)
- 1/2 small frozen organic banana – I break mine into chunks before I freeze them and I used two chunks which is like 1/2 a banana or probably 1/4 cup if you’re measuring
- Handful of organic spinach or baby kale (I use Organic Girl – you could also sub whatever green you have on hand. Spinach will be milder though and yield less of a greens taste if that bothers you. Also it blends better if you have a crappy blender)
- 2 teaspoons of Greens Powder (I use SunFood Sun is Shining. It’s expensive, but there are 45 servings in a bag and it’s amazing stuff. I’ll post the side of the bag below. It’s super good for you…but warning, if you’ve been eating a lot of toxic crap, it will, uh, “detox” it out, if you know what I mean…but in a good way 😉
- 1-2 teaspoons of raw, organic coconut butter (I use Artisana brand (they make amazing raw nut butters too). It’s amazing and makes the smoothie. If you don’t have it, you could probably use unsweetened coconut – maybe a tablespoon or two depending on how much you like – I just eye balled the coconut butter – using a bigger sized spoon and not filling it up all the way)
- Small spoon of Stevia in the Raw (or stevia or sweetener to taste – may want to wait until the end and see how much, if any, you need. I just used a small bit)
Add ingredients as listed. And then blend away! Taste at end to see if you need sweetener.
This is a delicious smoothie, and will fill you up. It’s got lots of protein, antioxidants, fiber, minerals, vitamins, probiotics, and enzymes and is super good for you! Just don’t skip the greens powder if you can! It will taste fine without it but you’ll be missing so much nutrition! If you don’t have greens powder, then up your spinach and/or kale to give you an extra boost.
AND if you’re wondering where I get all this crazy stuff I’m always mentioning like Sun is Shining Greens Powder, Artisana Coconut Butter, Stevia in the Raw, Red Sea Salt, Cocoa Nibs (great smoothie recipe with these coming soon!) etc etc… one place – Amazon! It’s awesome! I am a Prime Member which means I get free two day shipping and $3.99 one day shipping on almost everything (you also get stuff like free tv shows and movies to stream – but I’m more about shipping weird products to myself quickly)… if you’re interested they are doing a free 30 day trial – you can sign up here.
OK now enjoy your Green-a-Colada and imagine you’re at the beach! I have the space heater blasting in my office, so it feels just like the tropics 😉
Promise to get some new posts up soon and some info on coaching. Until then, happy trails 😉